Monday, August 10, 2015

On The Nightstand


My nightstand usually holds at least four books that I’m reading at any given time. Often this includes something new, an old favorite to re-read, some kind of prayer book, and some type of journal or planner. 
Years ago, my sister gave me a prayer book she had finished called Sacred Space. At the time I simply flipped through it, but didn’t really delve into it until this year; three years since she has been gone. How precious that book is to me, I’ll share another time. For my birthday, I received this year’s version of Sacred Space and y’all, let me tell you how much I am loving it!

For a person who has always known prayer, I have also always struggled to stay focused in prayer. This book has a prayer pattern for each day and week, with weekly themes and daily readings correlating to our liturgical calendar. Most importantly for me, there are beautifully written-yet brief-reflections for each day of prayer. I absolutely love how much I get out of using this book! I won’t say that I am now a completely disciplined meditator in prayer, but what a difference this framework makes for me!It brings a little sunshine to my day to have a clearer direction and focus for praying.

The book is published by the Irish Jesuits, and each year a new edition comes out. I’m thinking the 2016 edition might find its way into my stocking this Christmas :)

Is there something that helps you focus your prayers, too?


No comments:

Post a Comment