Back
to school: Round 1
Are
we really headed back to school this first week in August?! It’s been a fun and
full summer, with lots of lazy mornings and fun adventures, and I must say I’m
not quite ready for it to end. When it’s time to start a new school year, we
like to celebrate the new chapter in our children’s lives with a few simple and
easy things. Our Waffle House tradition began back when Mr. Dude (MD) was
starting kindergarten; after the kindergarten bus-ride-along early in the
morning before the first day, it seemed anticlimactic to just go home! So we
went to have a special breakfast at a southern favorite, Waffle House. Now,
each year on the last “school day” before school begins, MD and I go to an
early breakfast at Waffle House and he can order whatever he wants.
For
meet and greet day, I’m usually bouncing between volunteer duties and Mama
duties, taking him to his new class, but we always make a point to choose a
small gift for his new teacher to bring in either to meet & greet or on the
first day of school. It’s not expensive, it gives MD an opportunity to be
thoughtful, and it allows us to express our appreciation to his new teacher for
all of the work I know she has already put into this class, before she’s even
met them!
(As the class theme is "Rays Of Sunshine" this year--love it!!--MD helped me paint a little plaque for the classroom. It was still in progress here!)
On
the big day, we love to get up early and make an extra-yummy breakfast—this
year it was banana and cinnamon pancakes! The obligatory “first day of X grade”
picture is taken on the front porch, the backpack is packed with a special
lunch and a sweet note (but not too sweet, you know, manly still) and plenty of
the most healthy snacks I’ll make all year, and then we’re off!
Since
our family has one more (precious!) year in the season with one in elementary
school and one in preschool, Sister doesn’t get to start school as early as Mr.Dude.
I make some special plans for her so she doesn’t feel too lonely, but of course
it can’t be TOO special or brother will be upset that he missed it! Today it
was free time on their shared leap pad, making brownies to share with MD after
school, and having a playdate with another friend still in preschool.
What do you to commemorate "back to school" time?


No comments:
Post a Comment