All Saints Day Feast
As a teacher in a Catholic school for
many years, I loved celebrating All Saints Day with my students at school, so
once my own children came along, we wanted to observe it well in our home too. We
talked about it when my first-born was small, but it wasn’t until he turned
four that we really began to observe this holy day.
My family’s first All Saints Day
dinner was November 2012, the year my sister passed away. Still in the absolute
throes of grief, I felt that nothing I did to acknowledge her absence was
enough, but yet I felt I must do ALL THE THINGS to acknowledge her. It felt
disloyal to her to miss even one opportunity to do something around her absence
– she died so young, just 31, and I physically ached with missing her.
So, I planned a dinner a for All
Saints Day that included foods Sissy loved, especially our Daddy’s biscuits,
her favorite Brussels sprouts and the carrot cake from The Grit that she always
made for special occasions. We decorated with her many saint books, as she had
a special affinity for saints, and we put up her beloved owl décor everywhere!

Within the 18 months that followed my
sister’s death, both of my precious grandmothers passed away and even my sweet
little dog did too. It was a hard, HARD season of life.
As the now-only child, I carried my
own grief missing these loved ones, but I also carried my parents’ grief. Not
because they asked me to, but because often when people we love are suffering,
it hurts us too. The weight of so much loss was hard on everyone, so I
channeled as much as I could into gratitude for these loved ones and honoring
their memory.
As our All Saints feast dinner developed, we included Mimi’s famous mac and cheese casserole, Memaw’s delish pork tenderloin, and Miller Lite for my husband’s late father, Pat. Our children were now school age, which means they began to have an activity schedule that we had to work around. From this new season of life came our latest addition to All Saints Day – the snack feast! We have added St. Isidore’s (candy) pumpkins, St. Francis’ animals (crackers), St. Bernadette’s firewood (pretzels), St. James’ fish (both gold and Swedish), St. Juan Diego’s salsa, St. Gabriel’s trumpets (bugles) and this year I think we’ll add St. Cecelia’s piano keys (wafer cookies and Hershey sections). This way, we can observe All Saints Day on the actual day and then if we need to move our special family-recipes Saints celebration to another night, it’s easy to do.
Some people leave an empty chair for
family members who are missed; at this point, we would have nearly a full table
of empty chairs so for us, lighting a candle is more logical. We decorate our
table still with Sissy’s saint books, saint medals from Mimi, pictures of
favorite saints, and a candle for each family member who would be present with
us if they were still of this earth.
My daddy Steve passed away in 2018,
and unsurprisingly his biscuits are the number one thing the kids want to have
in our Saints dinner. Of course, the trouble is, nobody makes biscuits like
Stevie did. I make them well enough, but only he could make them with the
nuances of perfection as someone who had made them for years and years. We have
grown to love our family’s way of liturgical living at home – with food, just
the way these loved ones would have enjoyed too!

No comments:
Post a Comment